Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Hazel Park values the individuality of our stakeholders and embraces ALL perspectives as we uplift a strong, inclusive, and equitable community.
Our Core Beliefs
The Hazel Park School District:
- Promotes an environment of inclusivity, empathy, honesty, compassion, respect, and patience in conducting the business of the DEI.
- Is committed to a holistic view of understanding the needs, both spoken and unspoken, of the marginalized groups we intend to serve.
- Will consider differences in culture, background, ability, and experiences as we make informed-equitable decisions that impact our varying groups of stakeholders.
- Will self-evaluate the success of the group through a process of student input, group evaluation, and surveying outcomes.
- Believes a student's voice is paramount in decision-making that impacts their educational experience.
- Has the courage to take a vehement anti-racist stance to ALL acts of racism should they arise.
- Doesn't value any behavior over another because each behavior is valid to that person, so the value comes from understanding the basis of behavior instead of placing value.
- Will remain knowledgeable of the ever-changing social climate and life-changing events which can affect our stakeholders and be fluid in determining appropriate next steps that will be equitable to all.
DEI Leadership Committee
Administrative Professional Learning
Culturally Proficient Leadership Series - District Administrators
Staff Professional Learning
Culturally Responsive Teaching
Resources for the Community
Elementary (Coming Soon)
Junior High (Coming Soon)
White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
by Dr. Robin DiAngelo