Early 5s Program
Introduction: Early 5s Program
Early learning is a key component to the success of each and every child. The earlier we can provide solid educational opportunities to our younger learners the better. To support this goal, we will have opened a Early 5's programs at both Webb Elementary School as well as Hoover Elementary School.
The Early 5s Kindergarten program sets children up for success and the opportunity to learn in a hands-on, interactive way that supports their development while still maintaining the rigor and high standards of the Kindergarten curriculum.
This program is sensitive to each child’s developmental needs and will allow our young learners the time they need to grow academically, socially, and emotionally. The Early 5s classroom is a student-centered learning environment which provides many opportunities to build and practice social interactions and become a community of self-directed, collaborative learners.
What Happens In an Early 5s Classroom?
The Early 5s Program follows the Kindergarten curriculum but takes the time necessary to ensure students understand the concepts. Additional emphasis is also placed on developing social-emotional learning through productive play.
- Class Size: 20 students
- School Day: Full Day, Monday - Friday
- Special Classes: Participation in Art, Music, STEAM, and Physical Education
- Curriculum and Learning: Modified Kindergarten curriculum
- Social Emotional Learning: Daily Productive Play period
What are the benefits of an Early 5s Program?
- Opportunity to learn in an enriching and academically challenging environment
- Additional time to nurture each child’s growth and specific learning needs
- Provides a bridge between preschool and Kindergarten
- Small class size for greater student-teacher interactions
- Increased opportunities to interact with other children to build strong social-emotional skills
- Increased self-confidence and positive self-esteem
Who Attends an Early 5s Program?
The Early 5s program is for children whose birthday occurs between June 15th and December 1st and/or for those children who may need additional time and opportunities to develop their abilities and skills.
How can I find out more about the Early 5s Kindergarten Program?
Contact the Curriculum Office at (248) 658-5205
How can I enroll in the Early 5s Program?
- Attend our Kindergarten Open House on either February 5th or May 2nd at 6:30pm
- Kindergarten Screening Assessment
- Placement Decisions - Based on Screening and/or Pre-School Recommendation
Contact the enrollment office at 248.658.5205 or visit the Hazel Park Schools website to access the Kindergarten enrollment information.